Tuesday, April 28, 2009

From the Vault - Zool(1994)




Some say they were born to art, that it's all they ever wanted to do - to draw, to paint - and as soon as they had the opportunity, that's what they did - they chose their career path and pursued it with teeth-gritted determination. Not me.

If i had a 'secret origin', I'd say it was the classic 'by accident'. I never planned to sit down at a drawing board to earn a living, wasn't a childhood dream or a goal. There was a time at junior school when i was convinced I'd end up working for Disney or Hana Barbera, partly because i wouldn't make a good footballer or brain surgeon, but mostly because i thought it'd be easy to do. I was naive to the whole painstaking laborious process involved, i really thought you'd just draw a few pretty pictures then some machine 'filled in' the rest(which has kinda come true). Didn't know anything about hand-painting cells and the thousands of drawings involved, i just loved cartoons, and wanted to make them 'when i grew up'.
 
Don't get me wrong, I always loved comics, started to read them around the age of 4, and started to draw my own not long after. But i just did them for fun and to pass time at the back of maths class. Then i started to grow pubic hairs and notice girls and lost ALL interest in a career or planning my future. I just wanted to muck around with my mates and Debbie Everard.
 




Then i wanted to be Joe Strummer or Dave Vanian, that didn't happen. Then i wanted to be Sam Raimi or Luci Fulci, that didn't happen. So i found myself a bit disenchanted, bit lost, and started drawing again, then enrolling at art school, still busy with the bands and the film-making, but suddenly fired up with a renewed interest in comics and illustration.
 
And eventually, almost as a reaction to the blinkered wankers who attempted to teach me how to draw and what to draw - and fuelled by a few like-minded students - i walked away from art school and set up as a 'freelance artist'. Didn't know what the fuck i was doing, but it felt right.
 


And through sheer chance and uncanny good timing i ended up drawing Mr. X for Vortex Comics. It all happened very fast, too fast, and because of very silly things i was doing in my personal life - it ended just as fast. And from then on, my career stalled and spluttered, and on many occasions i found myself unemployed, and without a penny to rub.

One of those low points came in the early 90's, a really dark and desperate time, but then along strolled Zool - The Alien Ninja from The Nth Dimension.




Boxtree publishing had the rights to produce a series of illustrated book adventures featuring Zool, an early video game rival to Mario. Somewhere I'd bumped into Ian Edginton(writer of Scarlet Traces, Stickleback, and many fine works for 2000ad)who dug what i did with Mr.X. We shook hands, talked old comics, and weeks/months later he called me up asking if i wanted to team-up on the first Zool.

I was busy moving house at the time, having a relationship meltdown, and finishing up a bunch of samples/pitches, but hungry for a good break - i leaped at the chance. It was a bit of a nightmare in places, tight deadlines, working all hours, waiting for a book that sometimes arrived in chapters or a few paragraphs at a time, (since Ian had a co-writer originally, which caused many-a-conflict and re-write)along with an editor who thought he could write it better - which he couldn't.
 
...and getting all money owed took over 3 months of letters and phone calls, and finally an actual threat to turn up at the office with violent intent(they payed two days later). Leaving an editor cowering under his desk helped lose me the follow up gig, which added new misery to my feelings of frustration and disillusionment.

But, looking at it now, with fresh, less jaded eyes, I'm really glad i did it, it's a fun book, helped me develop my style, setting me up for Rock and Roll High School a few months later.
Here's the choice cuts...
 










2 comments:

Brian Lue Sang said...

Wow! Your journey in the comic book industry had quite an interesting start!

I know you've made it known that you have a love/hate relationship with the comic book industry and, considering what you've said in previous posts, I can't help but understand how you feel.

Now, however, I find myself thinking, that somewhere inside you there was a pull to do art - though maybe not for the same reasons as the 'I was BORN to do this shit!' crowd, but you're still here and you're still making an impression.

Thanks for sharing.

shane oakley said...

thankyou, brian - i always had 'little voices' telling me i should be doing something creative. but i think those voices had to have a real good argument.

and the LOUDEST won.

with me, i think it's down to the short time we have, and wanting to do as much as i can. but drawing always comes easiest and always rewards me the most(not necessarily in financial terms, though).

as long as there's a corner of this industry that i can work in, doing the stuff i want to do,then i'm sticking around.